Live, Laugh, Go Crazy

Every woman is entitled to have at least one meltdown a month...or maybe a week depending on you're mental and emotional ability

Sunday, August 1, 2010

The One Armed Woman

Did you ever notice how women have this uncanny ability to not only multi-task, but do things with only one arm free with our eyes closed? If I relied on both hands to get things done my house would look like a cyclone threw a party. My daughter is a big mommy's girl and this past week she has been sick. When kids are sick all they want is their mommies anyway, so this just intensified her need to be near me. Cooking dinner, cleaning up, doing laundry, washing dishes... all with her on my left hip.

Having two kids and a dog, and a house to run keeps anybody busy(unless you're the kind of stay at home mama that hires nannies and house keepers, then you suck, you really do). At the blink of an eye either one of my kids could possibly be hanging from a ceiling fan. So, when doing housework etc. I've gotta work fast. My husband offered to do the dishes for me(since I had my daughter turned koala hanging onto me like a tree branch) if I would go give her a bath. Sounded like a good deal to me. I Bathe my daughter, clean up the bathroom get her in pj's straighten up her room before bed and head out into the kitchen, relaxed, and so glad it would be clean. What do I find? There is Greg standing in front of the sink gazing out the window basically giving each dish a personal massage and placing them in the empty sick next to it for a rinse wash and repeat cycle. All he needed was a pair of high heals and some pearls and I'm telling you, Mrs.Cleaver couldn't touch him. How is it possible that he was still standing there? My husband works very hard at his job, and some weeks he pulls close to seventy hours. But men just can't grasp the concept of housework and all that it entails. I could have done those dishes faster with one hand holding a baby, my son talking my ear off and the dog barking in the background.

We as women think we have grown away from our typical rolls as "house wife". But even the ones who have a full time job still come home and make dinner, clean up, read stories to the kids. Being a mom is like having seven full time jobs. We are personal chefs, teachers, chauffeurs, maids, baby-sitters, mediators, & sometimes a billboard for target practice. If we got paid for what we do, we would be making over 100,000 dollars a year.
Being a mother is usually a choice, but even if it's not it's something I embrace everyday because I just sit and think about how boring my life would be if I lived alone, not that I haven't thought about it some days. Nothing a good mani/pedi and a bottle of tequila can't fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment