Live, Laugh, Go Crazy

Every woman is entitled to have at least one meltdown a month...or maybe a week depending on you're mental and emotional ability

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Alone Time! Wait, what's that?

As most of you know my two year anniversary was yesterday. And while most couples whisk themselves away to some romantic resort with his and her terry cloth robes, and a jaded reality full of alcohol and five star restaurants, my husband and I did not. (Because if I was I sure as hell wouldn't be on my computer)My thoughts on romance have changed immensely since I have had kids. I think a lot of us base romance on what we read in a book, or see in a movie so we are programmed to think we should be doing certain things. Those movies, or those books we read usually end right where real life begins.
I bet you if Cinderella got knocked up she wouldn't be dancing around with her mop singing to the birds, her head would be in the fucking toilet and prince charming would be holding her hair back. Or Princess Jasmin, could you see her whole new world with three kids on that magic carpet?
So, anyway...My husband and I decided it would be nice to go to dinner. Now- at first thought you're probably thinking romantic candle lit dinner in some poorly lit restaurant. NO!! Try Olive Garden and our two lovely kids. (They really are lovely) If you have kids you know what going out to eat is like. You usually spend your meal guarding your drink from being knocked into your lap, blowing on chicken nuggets to cool them down, or picking things up off the floor.
Being creative here was the key to making our anniversary amazing. Yes, the kids were like an extra garnish on a fancy meal we really didn't need right then, but they are part of our life so we make it work. But kids do sleep. And, as soon as those little monkey's were in bed, memory lane was wide open for us and we stayed up all night.... not just having the most incredible sex in the world( for those of you whose jaws just dropped:Mommies are allowed to have sex!), but really getting to know each other all over again. We relived the day we met and the amazing weeks that followed and how insane everyone thought we were when just two months later we were engaged. I fell asleep that night feeling like I just fell in deep deep love all over again and woke up knowing I was the luckiest person in the world.(I also woke up to my daughter trying to dip my blackberry in a glass of water)
Anything and everything is what you make it, or what you make out of it. Were we isolated on some island getting couples massages, no, but we didn't feel the need to put our relationship on display. We were as alone as you can be when you have kids. But that's what makes it fun and it took our relationship to the next level. We are always moving forward, but we are always moving together.

2 comments:

  1. "We are always moving forward, but we are always moving together." Nice! I had to skim parts. I am afterall, Mamma Cat ; ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you read it though! :) I am shocked you bypassed my warning! :) Hehe...love you mamma!!

    ReplyDelete