Live, Laugh, Go Crazy

Every woman is entitled to have at least one meltdown a month...or maybe a week depending on you're mental and emotional ability

Monday, August 2, 2010

I am A Fictional Character

Did your parents ever tell you growing up that you could be whatever you wanted to be? And that no matter what it was they would always love and support you? Well, mine always did, but that wasn't the problem. My problem was that I could never seem to decide how I wanted to spend the rest of my life. I didn't like the idea of going to college for four years and doing the same thing everyday. I always feared being so busy and consumed with my career that my days, weeks, and even months would start merging together and suddenly I would wake up 45 years old and have missed out on all the fun.

Most of my weekends and evening as a kid were spent locked in my room getting lost in incredible stories and I would get so into what I was reading that I would forget I was reading and I became part of that book. I realized I didn't have to choose one lifestyle or be one kind of person because through all these stories I could become anyone at any time. Those books were my escape, my way of experiencing the world from someone else's perspective, something I believe not many of us try to do. The books presented unrealistic scenarios and unlikely predicaments the main character was usually struggling to deal with. But for those few hours I was brave, or smart, or the most beautiful girl in a room and when I was done it was like closing a chapter on a part of my life and with every new book a new phase of adventure began.

As I grew up a little bit, and after spending countless hours hidden in the back of coffee shops, I realized I could still get lost in these wonderful books, but I needed to start being the leading lady of my own life. I knew I wanted to start seeing life from my own perspective too. I learned how to be brave and confident. To approach situations with the upmost patience, and just to throw in my own advice, everyone could always use a big hug. Sure, I am a little bit of a dork, but I think life is magical and there are so many ways to enjoy it. Whether it is through a good book, or a movie, we can be anyone and we can go anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment