Live, Laugh, Go Crazy

Every woman is entitled to have at least one meltdown a month...or maybe a week depending on you're mental and emotional ability

Monday, August 23, 2010

Wait Two Weeks


Ever notice how so many things in our lives revolve around two weeks somehow. Two weeks notice, fourteen day grace period on late bills, and the amount of time you should wait before making any big decision.

My car, oh my car. 220,000 miles on it and a countless number of other problems is scheduled to be taken to the mechanic on Wednesday. Fifteen hundred dollars is the estimated cost of repair. So, with that we decided to go look at some other options, New SUV's. Car shopping can be super fun or super sucky. Greg and I went to the car dealer with no intention of buying anything that day at all, and thought if we just looked and got an idea of what we wanted, we would be prepared.

Car salesman are desperate, on commission, and will tell you anything to sell you a car. For anyone who isn't aware, a few pointers:
1. Never go car shopping alone.
2. Know your price point and stick to it
3. The price on the car is just the "asking price", so make an offer you think is reasonable
4. Never go car shopping alone
5. It's okay to say NO!!!

Despite this wonderful advice, Greg and I almost got completely suckered in to buying a car even though we agreed we weren't going to. They even let us take the car home over night and think about it. But we applied the "Wait Two Weeks" strategy at the very last minute. Believe it or not, even after we dropped the car back off at the lot feeling great about our choice, the car salesmen texted me and offered to take an additional five hundred dollars off the price. Sneaky sneaky little man!!

I want to buy a new car on my own terms when it's right for my family. The car salesmen tried to convince me that paying $380 a month was way better than paying $1500 to get my car fixed. Yeah, sure it is, but when you're paying that $380 every month for six years...c'mon now! That's a big commitment. A $25,000 commitment, plus tax, and interest.

I guess the lesson learned here is that you should never make a decision on the spot, or let someone talk you into it. Always go home and really think about it. And maybe eight times out of ten you will realize you did the right thing. You don't always "need" everything you think you need and you'd be surprised how often you will come to see how silly that particular thing was if you wait it out and then go back to it.

Like I tell my son, "Be a smart shopper!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment