Live, Laugh, Go Crazy

Every woman is entitled to have at least one meltdown a month...or maybe a week depending on you're mental and emotional ability

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Unlivable to Unbelievable- Part Two


As I noted before, the bathroom renovations really did take 9 months to complete. But that wasn't the only thing that was going to take 9 months. Just three months before our wedding, the wedding that my step-mom had been losing sleep over to make beautiful, I found out I was pregnant. Well Shit! Was really the only appropriate things for me to say at that point. I already had my dress, and it had already been fitted. Just one more thing to literally add to the pile of crap that was already inside, and outside of our house. My stand is, that with all the renovations, and stress going on I simply forgot to take my birth control pill, but my husband has a different idea of how all that went. I don't recall having the "let's have a baby" conversation. Greg claims it was in the heat of the moment. C'mon, does anyone remember what they say in the middle of sex? If you do, do you expect anybody to hold you to it?
Regardless, our incredibly beautiful and emotional wedding came and went and do you think the two of us whisked away to some magical island? Hell no! We came right back home to a bathroom that still wasn't done, and ended up having to rip out the sink because if any more of it rotted away it would have just fallen apart all on it's own. Plus, Sean was starting his first day of kindergarden a few days later. With Sean at school and lot's to do we both took the week off work to try and "get ahead". We decided, with the help of Greg's dad to take apart the floor in what would later become the master suite. Halfway through we find just about every species of insect along with their eggs. Um, can anyone say Pest Control? Maybe the people that owned it before us?? This house was becoming our own personal money pit. Every time we took something apart a surprise was waiting for us. Several rooms didn't even have insulations, and tell me if it's normal to be able to see outside when your inside? And not through a window, through tiny holes and cracks in the wall. Wall paneling meant for an inside wall, not an outside one. Oh, and did I mention the single pane windows that frosted on the inside in the winter. Oh yeah and an air conditioning system that only worked for 7 hours and then froze over. Which, by the way, wasn't even plugged into the breaker. It took two years, a maintenance man, and $65 to figure that out. Aren't we a couple of geniuses?!
The time crunch was on because now we had a baby on the way and our house could probably have been deemed hazardous. Despite all this mess, we had a blast somehow working on it. We were literally building our life together. We learned a lot about each other along the way and about ourselves. I learned how to cut and measure drywall, I realized I was much stronger than I though, I had to learn how to be brave, especially after we built our front pouch and I had to carry chunks of grass and dirt filled with spiders and worms wiggling everywhere. But most importantly, Greg and I learned that no matter what shape our house was in, or how ugly our furniture was, it didn't matter. Because your life and relationships aren't based on any of that. You have to be able to strip all that away and still say I love my life, and I am happy. Can you say that? We could. We went to bed together every night and woke up in each others arms and nothing about the house or the financial stuff changed that or our love for each other. There were plenty of disagreements, and tears but we made our house into a home. There will always be a project, or something that needs to be fixed and changes are always coming. But our family is the constant and no matter where we are or what we have we know we have each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment