Live, Laugh, Go Crazy

Every woman is entitled to have at least one meltdown a month...or maybe a week depending on you're mental and emotional ability

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Technology Is Taking Over


Almost everyone has to rely on some form of technology on a day to day basis. Whether it's a blackberry, or mapquesting directions, we would all probably die without these incredible things. Or are they? How many people can even read a map anymore? I can hardly function without my cell phone.
Do we go to the library when we have questions about things, or want to research information. Hell No! We Google!

Thanks to things like facebook and twitter we are able to constantly be in touch with people we care about. Does this prevent us from actually getting out of the house and going to visit someone instead of messaging them on facebook?

I remember going to the mall and buying C.D's all the time. It was the coolest thing ever to go into the music store and purchase the hottest new singles. Since the development of the I Pod no one does this anymore. I have much more fun downloading the hottest songs ( for free... sshhh!!) onto my I Pod. A lot of those great music stores closed down because of it.

Thanks to Netflix, Blockbusters, and Movie Gallery's are a thing of the past. Now, my favorite... The Kindle. A way to read your favorite books without actually having to go to a bookstore. And, you get enormous discounts on the Kindle store online. Barnes and Noble price $25.00 Kindle Price $12.00. It makes me wonder if this will catch on the way Netflix and I Pods did and what this means for bookstores now? Will they become virtual bookstores, only having websites?

This could potentially be good for the environment. Less book printing = more happy trees!

With all the technology that we are exposed to what would happen if it was all taken away? Would be able to do anything? Even simple math since we rely on calculators so much. I use spell check for everything because I can't spell to save my life and as long as I can click a button and have every word looking like it should I don't think I will be practicing anytime soon.

Just babbling out loud I guess.... but it is interesting to think about. Don't get me wrong, I am obsessed with it all. My Laptop, my berry, I Pod, Kindle, and everything I can do on each one because I would be lost, confused, and unable to find a pay phone since those almost don't exist anymore either, if I had to go it alone.

But the truth is, people did survive without all this junk and for the most part seemed to manage fine. ( Unless someone was deathly ill and they had to ride a horse for two days just to find a doctor.) Who knows, maybe there was less drama.

2 comments:

  1. Good post, Ash. Yes, we survived just fine without all this stuff, because we didn't know what we were missing :). My hope is bookstores never go away (and I don't think they will) because I HAVE to go in and absorb the books with all my senses. But, the kindle and other ebook readers do add another option and hopefully encourage even more people to read. Like someone you know and love .. hint! hint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I am glad you read my blog still. Sometimes I feel like I am sending all this out into a black and it never gets read!! Now only if everyone would read on a daily basis I think people would be a lot more interesting to talk to :) Like you and me!!

    ReplyDelete