Live, Laugh, Go Crazy

Every woman is entitled to have at least one meltdown a month...or maybe a week depending on you're mental and emotional ability

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wants and Needs




It's been a while since I have posted anything-- Life tends to get in the way, and sometimes it goes in a direction that you don't plan for. My life took an unexpected turn, and it opened my eyes to a lot.

People in general think they are entitled to a lot. We also think we "NEED" things. And by things I mean, specific styles, clothes, furniture, more than one or two, or even three of things. We convince ourselves we need more space, new things, or just shit around our house that looks nice.

If you close your eyes, or were blind. How much of that stuff  you think you need even matters. I can answer that for you. None of it! Now, answer these questions. Is there a roof over your head? Are you warm and clothed? You can't see the clothes your wearing so as long as they fit, fuck what brand they are. If you answered yes, which you should have, you are already have more than most people.

Why do you work? To make money, right? What do you spend most of your money on? I bet on a lot of shit you don't even need. You think you need a bigger house, or a better car.

I'm finally settled in my townhouse, and the appliances aren't what anyone would consider new. Brand new-- a few years old-- whatever. They do the same thing. A fridge keeps your food cold, oven heats it up. People are very easily convinced that if it looks newer it does a better job of keeping your food cold. Well, it doesn't and you're an idiot. The fridge in my townhouse doesn't have an ice maker--so I fill ice trays. One day my son said to me, "Why can't we just put the glass up to the fridge and get ice like normal people."

This really bothered me because kids become accustomed to things that make them appreciate everything less and less. My response to him was, "Be thankful you have an ice cube to put in your drink at all."

As long as the sun comes out everyday and we have the illusion that everything in this world is great, we will all go on being convinced we need newer stuff, and have to upgrade to this, and buy that. You should stop and ask yourself what the hell you are doing. Simplify your life and appreciate the smallest things. Ask yourself what you would do without it, because I guarantee that you don't even really need it.

Try these few things and see if you can actually follow through.

1. Close your eyes and pick out your clothes blind for two days in a row.

2. Take a road trip--without the use of mapquest or any electronic device.

3. (If your feeling giving) Go through everything in your house, and ask yourself if you really need it. If you don't, just give it to someone who really does.

No comments:

Post a Comment