Live, Laugh, Go Crazy

Every woman is entitled to have at least one meltdown a month...or maybe a week depending on you're mental and emotional ability

Monday, November 29, 2010

To Lie, or Not to Lie


With Christmas sneaking up on us and being a mom of two, I can't help but think about Santa Claus and the lies we tell our children from day one.

It's all in the Christmas spirit to tell a child that Santa Claus is real and my husband and I even took things to the next level by giving our son an Elf On The Shelf. For those of you who have never heard of this, it is a book set that comes with the child's very own elf, which they get to name. The story is that each night the elf magically flies back to Santa's workshop and reports to him about the child's behavior and when they wake up the next morning the elf will be in a different spot in the house each morning until Christmas, when the elf then retreats back to the North Pole until the following year.

My son, who is seven, truly believes in all of this Christmas magic and it makes the holidays extra special and magical for everyone, including our two year old daughter. Although, I can't help but feel awful each morning when we wake up and he looks for Zeke. ( His elf) The excitement in his eyes is priceless. But then I think about how betrayed he might feel when he finds out one day that this was all something we made up.

I believed in Santa Claus until I was in middle school, until people told me I was a loser and that Santa Claus wasn't real. At which point I ran home, heartbroken, and begged my mother to tell me the truth. Once she revealed that the magical man of Christmas wasn't real, I actually cried and felt so hurt.

Is it wrong to lie about Santa? Should we emphasize the true meaning of Christmas and the religious aspect behind it all? I am one of those people who love to go crazy when it comes to gifts for my kids, but I just feel so bad about making up the reasons behind where the gifts come from.

Am I totally alone in all of this??

3 comments:

  1. It's a problem because you dont want to lie but you also don't want to be a Grinch.

    I was five when I found out it was a lie. I was so mad. Mostly because I had proof and they still denied it. I was a rotten little toad.

    My idiot family asked me to help pick out a Xmas gift for my friend I played with. I picked out a Gerber doll which my friend would really like. I personally hated dolls. I wanted an electric train set.

    They then wrapped the Gerber doll up as my gift from Santa because that must be what I liked. I opened that box and knew it was all a big fat lie.

    They denied it. I asked my friend what they got her for Xmas, not a Gerber doll. I actually stuffed that doll in the garbage and refused to play with her.

    I got a spanking but I still was mad for about five days.

    But I still would hate to rob my little nephews os the magic of Christmas. They get such joy out of tracking the sleigh and writing letters.

    And if they knew the truth, they would tell their friends and other parents would hate you.

    I think once a kid hits 8 or 9, you have to fess up. A kid that believes beyond age 10/11 is often ridiculed by the other kids.

    TirzahLaughs
    http://acleverwhatever.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's terrible what your parents did. In that situation it is blatantly obvious that Santa didn't bring you that doll.

    I was a late believer and sadly picked on by my so called friends.

    I will probably just let me son, who is going to be eight in June, believe as long as he believes.

    But, once he asks me that dreaded question, I will shamefully admit the truth behind it and hopefully it won't be too traumatizing for him.

    Believing makes Christmas Eve so magical and exciting but I have already prepared myself for only one or two more Santa believing years when it come to my son. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, there are some truly screwed up people out there. I am approaching 40 with 2 kids and still believe ;-) but how you can get so hung up on things like this amuses me. So you think your parents lied and therefore want to tell your children your truth as soon as possible as you remember being hurt? I bet that hurt lasted all of a month at most, but the next Christmas (and everyone since) was no where near as magical for you, until now.... when you are able to enjoy it through your own kids experience. When we have been asked we always tell them the truth, that if you believe no one can take that away (but they dont need to tell others and make a big deal of it) Merry Christmas to all the believers and screw the internet and all of the things it sets out to destroy!!

    ReplyDelete